Sunday, March 8, 2015

SOL- Day 8 - Blended Families

I had my very first boyfriend in 6th grade. I remember it vividly... what he looked like, how he sounded, the shy way about him. I even still had the folded note where he asked me "to go with him".

So when we were reunited almost 20 years later, through My Space of all places, we had an instant connection. We were both newly divorced and not really looking but nonetheless...there we were, falling in love.

So when the time came to meet his two children, I was nervous, excited and overwhelmed. Even though we have been married for 7 years now, I often still feel those exact same emotions when I see them. 

These last 8 years have been a series of ups and downs, trial and error, and a testimony in patience.

So it feels more than amazing when we have a great weekend together as a family, like we did this weekend. 

It makes me think about that term blended though...will we ever be truly blended? What does that even mean?

2 comments:

  1. this is such a romantic story, and so sweet. It's amazing that you keep his note to you from 6th grade. And your question at the end is what keeps it from being saccharine -- what does "blended family" mean, anyway? And your sentence about "ups and downs, trial and error... testimony in patience." Isn't all marriage like that, even when there aren't someone else's children and ghost ex-spouses involved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very sweet to reunite with your 6th-grade boyfriend so many years later! So glad you had a great weekend as a family. I have many parenting challenges also and really cherish times that are fun and easy!

    ReplyDelete