Friday, March 27, 2015

SOL - Day 27 - Unexpected

for the past three or so weeks, I have been tutoring a group of 5th graders each morning before school in preparation for STAAR. Honestly, when my principal asked me to..I was not excited about getting up so early and I hadn't worked with the 5th graders at my school so I didn't have any relationships there. I'm not a morning person so being there that early and being "on" was a struggle at times. We talked a lot, discussed many different topics, learned some words together and even had some debates about slavery and year round school. In these few weeks I definitely became attached to these kids. I believe in them and wish them all the best. I hope our time together helped them and that they are successful in reaching their STAAR goals. I didn't expect to become so attached and I can even go as far as saying I will miss them next Monday morning. I have several new friends though. It feels good to hear them call my name and wave when they see me in the hall. So unexpected...but I'll take it!

3 comments:

  1. This is great, I absolutely love this line: "I believe in them and wish them all the best." I think you have had an impact on them that they will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, I absolutely love this line: "I believe in them and wish them all the best." I think you have had an impact on them that they will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Slice! Sounds like you made some significant connections with students who really needed that. I'm sure the impact you had on them will go beyond the STAAR!

    ReplyDelete