Sunday, March 1, 2015

SOL- Day 1- A Magical Mood Lift


As we sit at Uberrito eating dinner silently, the gray clouds and looming rain are the perfect backdrop for our moods. Our Saturday has been spent running errands in the freezing cold that none of us really wanted to do and our six-year-old's many mini-fits have made the day even more grueling. My husband is shoveling in his burrito bowl like he is an inmate at a prison, while my daughter dips a chip in queso and then lays down on the seat so as not to be seen. I am picking at my shrimp feeling full and already needing a to-go box when it happens....

"Trinity, sit up and look!" She doesn't even attempt to move. Then I raise my voice, "Get up now before you miss it!"

As I watch her look out the window, her entire aura changes. Her eyes brighten, her smile pushes up her red cheeks and there is a sense of awe in her stillness. "Do you want to go say hi?" I ask.

We rush to the door so that we don't miss them. "Excuse me, can we take a picture?" "Of course!" they exclaim. As Trinity huddles in the middle, Elsa, Aurora, Ariel and Cinderella gather around her. "Thank you so much," I say. "You all must be freezing. Where are you going?"

"To Starbucks," they reply. Ah! Of course, I should have known. Where else would four Disney princesses be going? As we turned to head to the car, something in us had changed. We had just witnessed something unexpected and magical and it turned our frowns upside down.

It also reminded me that even though my little girl seems to be growing up and becoming more mature each and every day, there is still a little girl in there who believes. On the way home she asked, "What if those princesses weren't real?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Well, what if they were girls just dressed up in costumes?" she asked with a concerned look on her face.
"Well, what if they were?"
"Well they aren't but I was just wondering, what if..." she said.

That's right baby girl. Hold on, for just a little bit longer. Reality will be there waiting for you soon enough.


 photo 1BCE5F53-823B-485A-8D6E-5ECFF12AD004_zpssokl67qs.jpg

4 comments:

  1. We should never loose our belief in magic. Something we can learn from our children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a photo! Your post is a wonderful reminder to live in the present and to look for wonder all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! I will mimick the placement of my photo. I think it adds a lot to the story to have it at the bottom of the page instead of the top! Tweet-Tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story and certainly a memory to treasure! Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete